Thai Recipe: Khanom Chan
This is a delicious Thai Dessert. A steamed Layer Cake made out of Tapioca and Rice Flour. It has a nice chewy texture and a slight jasmine taste. Khanom Chan is relatively easy to make but takes a bit of time to steam every single layer. For the amounts in this recipe, its best to just use a small pan but you can also double the Ingredients.
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/4 cup Rice Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- Food Color
- 1/2 tsp Jasmine Essence
- 1/2 cup Water
- Heat 1/2 cup Water, add the Sugar and let it simmer until the Sugar is dissolved
- Turn off the Heat, add the Coconut Milk and mix. Then let it cool down a bit.
- Mix Tapioca, Rice Flour and the created Coconut Sauce until its a smooth batter.
- Add 1/2 tsp Jasmine and mix.
- Divide the batter into 2 parts and add color to one. The one with the color should be a bit more.
- Put a greased pan into a boiling steamer. Add a bit of the batter with color until you cant see the bottom of the pan and let it steam for about 5 minutes.
Important: Mix the batter again before adding it to the pan
- When the first layer is solid, add the next layer and steam again for about 5 minutes.
- Do the same with every layer. The last layer should also be a color.
Dont forget to mix the batter everytime!
- Let it cool down completely before removing the Cake from the pan
Author: The International Vegan