Thai Recipe: Khao Nieow Ma Muang
Sticky Rice with Mango is on of the most famous desserts from Thailand. It comes with sweet rice, a coconut sauce and delicious fruit. This is best eaten with yellow Thai mangoes but if they are not available you can try it with other fruits. I often use black rice, its healthier, it gives a nice color and has a nutty taste but you can also use white sticky rice.
- 1 cup Thai Sticky Rice black (soaked for about 8 hours)
- 1-2 tbsp (Palm) Sugar
- 2 -3 yellow Mangoes
- 200 ml Coconut Milk
- A pinch of Salt
- Steam the Sticky Rice until its tender. For black rice about 60 minutes. You can use any steaming method but the rice should not touch the boiling water.
- Start shortly before the Rice is finished: Bring 1/2 cup of Water with the sugar to boil and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. If you use Palm Sugar the sauce becomes slightly brown but tastes better.
- Add 200 ml Coconut milk and a pinch of salt, mix and heat but do mot bring to boil.
- Add about half of the coconut sauce to the rice, mix and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Peel and cut the Mangoes and serve them with sticky rice and a bit of the coconut sauce.
Author: The International Vegan
Date: 14. January 2016