Vietnamese Recipe: Banh Bao
A easy recipe for Vietnamese steamed Buns “Banh Bao”. Nice and Fluffy Yeast Dough with a delicious vegetarian Filling with Bean Thread Noodles, Carrots and black Fungus.
Preperation: 70 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
Total: 100 minutes
- 50g Bean Thread Noodles (soaked/chopped)
- 1 small Carrot diced
- 4 black Fungus (soaked/chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped
- 3 tbsp Scallions chopped
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp veg. Oyster Sauce (Mushroom)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Starch
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 450g Flour
- 240ml warm Water
- 2 tsp dry Yeast
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Mix 3 tbsp Soy Sauce, 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce, 2 tbsp Water, 1 tsp Sugar and 1 tbsp Starch and put aside.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp Oil and fry Garlic, Ginger and Scallions for 2 Minutes on medium heat.
- Add Carrots and Fungus and fry 4 more minutes.
- Add Noodles, Sauce and Pepper and mix well.
Fry for a short time and put the filling aside.
- Mix 240 ml warm Water, 1 tbsp Sugar and 2 tsp dry Yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix 450g Flour, 1 tsp Baking Powder, a pinch of Salt, 3 tbsp Oil and the Water with Yeast. Knead the Dough for a while. (if it is too sticky, add a bit of Flour)
- Let the Dough rest covered for 1 hour.
- Knead the Dough again, take a fistful and flatten it in your palm.
- Put around 2 tbsp of the filling into the middle and close the bun. (results in 8-10 buns)
- Steam the buns for 17 minutes.
Author: The International Vegan